We are looking for some lovely, hard working individuals who want to taste a piece of what urban agriculture is really like. Please apply ASAP.
See below for more details: 2018 EGP farm intern
POSITION: Volunteer Farm Intern
TYPES: General Farm Intern and Market Intern
LOCATION: Loutet Farm + Sutherland Market Garden, North Vancouver, B.C.
The Edible Garden Project (EGP) is a program of North Shore Neighbourhood House. The EGP is actively increasing land used for food production, building knowledge and skills around food gardening and working with municipalities to increase opportunities for urban agriculture.
These internships aim to provide skills training for someone interested in small-scale, sustainable, urban farming. Interns are an important part of the EGP team, and are vital in ensuring a successful harvest from the EGP farm sites. An ideal Intern is enthusiastic, passionate about sustainable growing techniques, and willing to work outside in variable conditions.
General Farm Intern: Interns will be working alongside the EGP Farm Team in all steps from the seeding of crops, to their harvest for the market table. In each task, interns will be provided with direction and background knowledge of how systems work at the EPG farm sites.
Market Intern: The Farm Market Internship aims to provide skills training for someone interested in marketing produce from a small-scale, social-enterprise farm. An ideal Farm Market Intern is enthusiastic, passionate about sustainable produce, and willing to work outside in variable conditions.
**Upon completion of the season, Interns will receive a letter of reference.
Interns will be working with the EGP Farm Team on the following tasks:
- Preparation of garden beds
- Weeding and crop maintenance
- Greenhouse crop management
- Washing and processing produce for markets
- Setting up market stand
- Designing creative marketing strategies and displays
- Interacting with customers and making transactions
- Outgoing and friendly with the public
- Attention to detail (organized market stand, presentation of produce)
- Experience cooking with a variety of vegetables
- Capable of working outside in variable conditions
- Ability to work both in a team and individually
- Foodsafe or Marketsafe certified
- Basic horticultural knowledge
- Basic construction skills
- May 15th – October (flexible)
- 6-9 hours per week
- Flexible schedule to be determined with the candidate
- This is an unpaid internship
HOW TO APPLY:
Please send a brief letter (max 500 words) outlining the following:
- Which internship you are applying for: Farm Intern or Market Intern
- What you hope to gain from such an experience
- Specific interests or areas that you would like to learn more about
Email subject line:
FIRST NAME_LAST NAME_FarmIntern to email@example.com OR
FIRST NAME_LAST NAME_MarketIntern to firstname.lastname@example.org
More information about the Edible Garden Project can be found here: https://ediblegardenproject.com/