Get a jump on the growing season at SEEDY SATURDAY
Seedy Saturday is being held at the City of North Vancouver Library, where our North Shore seed library is housed. Become a member of the seed club and help us build a diverse collection of seed adapted to the North Shore–seeds are the future of our food!
This Seedy Saturday event features a seed swap and a free pre-event workshop, 10-11:30am (registration required), on backyard seed-saving with Sahar Zandieh who has been doing research at the UBC seed-saving farm. Learn more about this GardenSmart workshop and register here.
Many community groups and knowledgeable gardeners will at Seedy Saturday to share tips and answer your questions about pollinator gardens, growing flowers, food-gardening tips, as well as seed-saving.
- Cease Wyss of Harmony Gardens in the Squamish Nation, will be selling medicinal tinctures and sharing her knowledge about indigenous growing traditions and medicinal uses of native plants
- Sahar Zahieh from UBC seed-saving garden on backyard seed-saving
- Bee Friendly on native bees
- Heather Schermerhorn on pollinator gardens and native plants
- Holly Rooke from Loutet Farm will be selling seedlings and tips to grow more in less space
- Evonne Strohwald on growing flowers
- North Shore Fruit Tree Project on growing and harvesting tree fruits
- Loutet Community Market vendors will be there with baked goods
- EGP Sharing Gardeners will be there to answer questions about general food-growing
So bring your seeds to swap, and the gardening questions you’ve been pondering all winter!
Admission is by donation, and supports the Seed Library.