Introduction to Aquaponics for Your Home
Keen on the idea of aquaponics and want to gain the knowledge to run your own setup at home? This casual workshop will introduce you to the basic principals of aquaponics and what it takes to build and run your own simple system. It will take place at Shaun and Vita’s home in North Vancouver.
In the first part of the workshop we’ll explore a small system you can build yourself while explaining what each part does and why you need them. Q&A will take place as we work though the system. In the last 45 minutes of the 3hr workshop we’ll tour a home scale hybrid system which resides in a solarium. We’ll look at different ways to grow food as well as what you need to consider if you want to put emphasis on the plant side, the fish side or both.
Topics covered will include:
– The nitrogen cycle
– Cycling a system without fish
– Fish selection
– Seeding and plant selection and where to put what
– Laying out a system
– Lighting and where to use it for maximum return
– Bell siphons, timers and other approaches
– Filtration and Bio-filters
– System maintenance – water testing, pH management, nutrient supplements
– Worm tea brewing and fish solids mineralization
– Bioponics, what is it and what are its benefits
Shaun Mavronicolas and his wife Vita have been growing food in their backyard for a little over 3 years. About 4 years ago they stumbled across GMOs… this sparked a major lifestyle shift and path to becoming more self sufficient and resilient while being as environmentally conscious as possible. In this time they have completely transformed their back yard into a food producing garden, with both an Aquaponics greenhouse and a raised bed garden. Their backyard also includes a composting area, several worm farms and more.