Are you passionate about growing, harvesting, and selling fresh produce? Do you have an eye for organization and aesthetics, and love interacting with the public? We’ve got a job for ya!
POSITION TITLE: Market Coordinator
CONTRACT POSITION: 30 hours per week, April 30th – October 31st, 2019
COMPENSATION: $20.00 per hour
Application Deadline: Monday, April 15th, 2019 – Applications accepted on a rolling basis.
Submit application to: firstname.lastname@example.org
The North Shore Neighbourhood House is a not-for-profit registered charity serving the North Shore community since 1939. We believe working together to meet the grassroots needs of our neighbours, especially our most vulnerable residents is essential to building a safe, healthy and strong community. The House values and promotes cooperation, respect and empowerment through the provision of programs and services designed to meet the needs of individuals and the community as a whole.
The Edible Garden Project (EGP) is a program of North Shore Neighbourhood House. The EGP is actively increasing land used for food production, building knowledge and skills around food gardening and working with municipalities to increase opportunities for urban agriculture.
The Market Coordinator will coordinate and manage the twice-weekly farm gate sales, and will work to build the capacity of our markets to foster community and increase awareness of local, sustainable agriculture. The Market Coordinator will work closely with the Program Manager to fulfil these goals and will also work with the Farm Coordinator to support the ongoing growing responsibilities at the two farm sites.
produce to the public is an important part of the Edible Garden Project. The
Market Coordinator will harvest produce two days per week (Tuesdays and
Fridays) and will work with the Farm Coordinator to ensure that produce is
processed to a standard that is fit for the market stand. Produce sales happen twice
per week (Wednesdays from 2pm-4pm and Saturdays from 10am-2pm), with Saturdays
being a Community Market that is part of the British Columbia Association of
Farmers Markets (BCAFM). The Market Coordinator will be responsible for
managing both weekly market sales, including set-up, take-down, counting
deposits, and liaising with community vendors.
- Manage farm gate sales twice weekly (Wednesday and Saturday) including preparation, setup, sales, restocking, takedown, etc. Saturday markets will include liaising with community vendors and maintaining and creating relationships with local vendors
- Manage market volunteers and maintain records of volunteer hours
- Collect vendor fees and maintain accurate records of market activities
- Count cash and record deposits
- Become familiar with BCAFM guidelines and ensure that they are followed at each market
- Participate in harvesting and processing activities twice weekly (Tuesdays and Fridays)
- Communicate with Farm Coordinator about which crops will be available for sale at markets and to restaurants
- Answer questions at market, at community events, and “over the fence” to interested community members
- Coordinate volunteers at community markets, work parties and other volunteer events
- Organize monthly volunteer/community potlucks
- Use Mail Chimp to communicate our available produce to our subscribers (weekly Fresh Sheet)
- Ideally 2+ years experience in a mixed vegetable market farm enterprise situation
- Excellent communication skills, great team player
- Ability to work long hours and maintain a flexible schedule that includes weekend work (Tuesday-Saturday schedule, with occasional evening work required in market season)
- Ability to lift 50+ lbs safely
- Able to work outdoors in a variety of weather conditions
- Experience running markets, customer service, cash handling
- Experience supervising volunteers
- Experience working in a non-profit environment and knowledge/experience with social enterprise an asset
- Access to transportation
- Completion of a criminal record check is required
To submit your application:
Email subject line: FIRST NAME_LAST NAME_MarketCoord
Cover Letter and Resume: Please send as One PDF document, 3 page maximum (1 page cover letter, 2 page resume) with this file name: FIRST NAME_LAST NAME_MarketCoord
Email to: email@example.com
Only successful applicants will be contacted for interviews. Thank you and good luck.Share EGP!