Below are monthly lessons and other documents we use in many of our schools or recommend as extensions to lessons we teach out in the school garden.
September – “Discover the Garden”
- Garden Bingo (PDF) – Bingo activity card we use to introduce students to the garden.
- Sunflower Drying & Roasting LP (PDF) – Save, dry and roast sunflower seeds with your students.
October – Seed Saving & Garlic Planting
- Garlic Measuring Sheet (PDF) – Use this table to record your monthly garlic growth and weave garden math into your curriculum.
November – “Putting Beds to Rest” – Mulching and Our Soil
- Soil Treasure Hunt LP (PDF) – Explore different soils around the schoolyard and the concept of decomposition.
- Soil Temp & Leaves LP (PDF) – Explore the affect of leaves on soil temperature.
- Erosion & Soil (video) – This video explains an easy to do lesson with your students exploring soil and erosion.
- If the Earth were an Apple.. (video) – Video demonstrating the importance of farmland and taking care of our soil.
January – Germination Experiments (indoors) & Food Miles
- Bean Seed Germination Experiment (PDF) – Easy lesson to explore the concept of “germination” and observe the growth of a seed over time.
- How Does a Seed Become Plant (PDF) – Explore the structure and growth of seeds over time. Excellent handouts.
- Food Miles Lessons (PDF) – This collection of lessons, created by the Falls Brook Centre, help students explore where their food comes from.
February – Seed Starting & Planting
- Planting Chart-Vegetables (PDF) – Calendar displaying when we should seed vegetables in the Vancouver area.
- Veggies for the School Garden Table (PDF) – List of vegetables we recommend for the school garden.
- Pea Measuring Sheet (PDF) – Use this table to record your monthly pea growth and weave garden math into your curriculum.
March – Composting & Planting
- Worm Bin Bingo – Amazing set of compost bingo cards to be used while looking through fresh compost.
- Compost In a Bag LP (PDF) – Easy to do activity with kids demonstrating what decomposes and the decomposition process.
- Compost Chefs LP (PDF) – Discover the best “ingredients” for composting through this hands-on composting lesson.
- Worms 101 (PDF) – Observe the work of compost worms (red wigglers) over time.
- Compost Worms Fact Sheet (PDF) – Fun facts about our compost worm friends.
April – Seeds & Planting
- Seed ID Matching Game (PDF) – Cut these pictures out and have students match the seeds with the plants they grow up to be!
- Veggies for the School Garden Table (PDF) – This is a list of veggies we recommend for the school garden with helpful growing information.
May – Pollinators & Bugs
- Pollinator Curriculum (PDF) – Extensive curriculum about bees and other pollinators with lesson plans and handouts geared for grades 3-6.
- Pollination Games – Two excellent pollination activities to do with younger students.
- The Bug Book – Excellent resource to help identify good and bad bugs in the garden.
- Bug Out Curriculum – Excellent series of lessons exploring bug structure and life cycles.
June – Celebrate
- links and PDFs coming soon