Below is a list of school garden resources we think are especially “fruitful” for getting school gardens to flourish.
Food Growing 101 Resources
- Gardening 101 Hand Out (PDF) – EGP developed guide on the basics of growing food.
- Planting Calendars – Calendars developed by West Coast seeds to help us learn when to plant seeds.
- How to Grow Guides – Specifics instructions on how to grow different vegetables.
- Patterns Thru Seasons Curriculum (PDF) – Month by month garden-based curriculum for K-7.
- KINDERgarden (Green Thumbs Growing Kids) (PDF) – Excellent collection of lesson plans for younger students out in the garden.
- School Gardens Activity Guide (Whole Kids Foundation) (PDF) – Easy to follow lesson plans with great handouts and easy to reproduce activities to connect to your classroom curriculum.
- Life Labs School Garden Lessons Videos – Collection of videos demonstrating “back pocket activities” that can be done out in the school garden.
- Omnivore’s Dilemma (Young Readers Edition) – A must read book describing North America’s industrial food system.